- EFY is owned and operated by Brigham Young University with its principal place of business in Provo, Utah. Accordingly, all EFY counselors are interviewed, hired and trained in the State of Utah.
- EFY counselors report to work in Provo, Utah at their own expense and should expect to work primarily at sessions located inside the State of Utah. Counselors who are also assigned to work at sessions outside Utah travel from Utah and return to Utah after their out-of-state assignment is complete, at EFY's expense.
- Transportation, food or housing will not be provided during weeks that an employee is not contracted to work.
- Because EFY is a Utah employer, wages and taxes are primarily reported as Utah wages, and taxes are withheld to Utah. However, some states in which holds sessions require EFY to report wages and withhold taxes to those states, such that counselors working sessions in those states would receive a W2 reporting wages earned in and taxes paid to those states in addition to Utah.
Availability and Assignments
Upon being hired, counselors notify EFY which weeks they are available to work and commit to make themselves available to work those weeks. Counselors are then assigned specific sessions based on availability and the needs of EFY.
- Counselors are not guaranteed to work every week they make themselves available or in locations of their preference. Although employment is "at-will," once counselors accept assigned sessions, they do so with the intention of working all assigned sessions so that EFY can plan to adequately staff all sessions.
- Any changes in availability must be communicated to EFY as soon as possible so that EFY can make arrangements to adequately staff all sessions.
- Counselors who do not accept or who decline assignments in the state of Utah risk losing out-of-state assignments. Any costs associated with flights booked for out of state sessions would become the responsibility of the counselor.
EFY employees understand that failure to comply with any EFY policies and procedures or contract terms and conditions may negatively affect their future employment with EFY.
Inability to Work
EFY employees understand that in the event they are unable to fulfill a contract(s), it is their responsibility to notify EFY programs no fewer than fourteen (14) days prior to the contract start days, and no fewer than forty-five (45) days prior if travel arrangements have been made. Failure to do so may result in forfeiting future contract privileges. At the discretion of the hiring committee, EFY staff may be subject to a $50 fee for each contract dropped within 14 days of the session start date.
Counselors who do not accept or who decline assignments during peak enrollment weeks risk losing all other assigned contracts. Any costs associated with flights booked for out of state sessions would become the responsibility of the Counselor.
EFY employees understand that all necessary paperwork must be completed prior to the mandatory pre-summer training in order to be authorized to work.
EFY employees agree to complete all required pre-session training, which includes, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Read and study the EFY Staff Handbook.
- Complete designated sections of the EFY online training.
- Accept a contract to attend a mandatory pre-session training prior to beginning work. EFY employees must attend training in its entirety. Failure to do so may result in contracts being withdrawn and/or the forfeiture of EFY employment.
Changes in Contracts
EFY employees understand that EFY reserves the right to cancel contracts and reschedule or cancel sessions at its discretion. In any event, the contract becomes void, without remuneration of any kind. The employee's "Work Availability" section on the EFY Employment Center should be updated and kept current in order to be considered for a rescheduled or alternate session.
EFY employees understand that they must be available for the entire session, work all of the days of the contracted session (including Sunday evening meetings, session director fireside and Saturday morning meetings), be on time to all meetings and activities, fulfill specific duties and responsibilities as assigned, and meet all expectations as found in the staff manual and other training materials.
Continued summer employment with EFY is contingent upon satisfactory performance, evaluations, and meeting all expectations. Failure to meet these expectations may result in early termination of a contracted session and any future contracts that may have already been accepted.
Payment for a contracted session may be withheld or minimized due to failure to attend mandatory pre-session trainings or complete specified duties and responsibilities on time and as directed.
On-Call Conditional Contract
EFY employees understand that a conditional on-call contract MUST be accepted AND authorized before work may begin. By accepting this conditional on-call contract you are acknowledging your availability to work and understand it may occur just prior to or during the scheduled session/program. If a work opportunity opens, you will receive an authorizing email indicating that your CONDITIONAL status has changed to AUTHORIZED TO WORK. Only AFTER you receive this authorizing email may you report to work.